Skip to main content

Real Manhood

Crusader Rabbit has posted a rant by a guy that is sick of being emasculated in a culture that laughs at men. While I can certainly understand the frustration that this man is feeling, the solution is not to become a brute, the only viable option of manhood that this guy is aware of.

But fear not! I have an alternative vision for men like him. Look to the firemen of 911 for your model of self-sacrificing, heroic manhood. And beyond them, look to Christ.

Related Link: The Firemen of Sept. 11 and the Meaning of Masculinity
What’s a real man? He's not a bully or a wimp. He transcends his own ego, his own fears, his own selfishness, and sacrifices himself as a gift to those he's called to protect.[...]

Let me give an example of heroism. On 9-11, we had countless examples. The radical feminists stopped talking for three months. Everyone saw. I counseled some New York City firemen, policemen, and rescue workers who were in the World Trade Center towers on that day. One young man described to me the moment it dawned on him the full horror of what had taken place. He was going up the stairs in the burning Twin Towers. What he had committed his life to do, which before had only been a distant possibility - giving his life for others - had become an immediate probability.

In an explicit, conscious way, he realized: "Right now, I die..." His next thought was, automatically, "but perhaps, before I die...I could save some more people." He didn't say that in an arrogant, proud, "Look at me, I'm a hero" way. It was in a committed, loving, "that's my identity," "these people may need me" way. He knew that death was a possibility, and that higher than death was the saving of human life...at the cost of his own.

You see, heroism is essentially spiritual. Physical risk is a path to it....

Comments

  1. "But fear not! I have an alternative vision for men like him. Look to the firemen of 911 for your model of self-sacrificing, heroic manhood. And beyond them, look to Christ."

    I can think of someone who would make a good alternative also Lucyna.
    And he was a catholic!
    Guy Fawkes.
    Current regime antics are leading us down a path that will see one appear sooner or later

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good word that is out of fashion "chivalry".

    I remember in my University days holding a door for a woman and getting snapped at for my trouble.

    The gender wars have caused a lot of confusion - to the detriment of human fulfillment and and happiness I'd suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just on that "...holding a door for a woman and getting snapped at for my trouble." thing, i remember hearing on the radio a long time ago, another fellow recounted a similar incident, after being snapped at, he turned to the woman and said sweetly, "Oh sorry, my mistake, i thought you were a lady."

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good post Lucyna. I've seen far too many posts lamenting the neutering of the human male, only to go on and promote a Neanderthal version.

    One example springs to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He wasn't seriously promoting a "Neanderthal version" at all.
    It was merely an angry rant and Kim wasn't seriously promoting the idea of the male as brutal animal, simply reacting against the forces that would castrate men.
    The post got a huge reaction when he first put it up, not from knuckle-dragging dogfighting women beaters--which real mean loathe-- but from men who detest those things but at the same time felt that their right to be a male had been undermined.
    One doesn't have to be a brute to feel that masculinity is under threat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Foul language and personal attacks may get your comment deleted without warning. Contact us if your comment doesn't appear - the spam filter may have grabbed it.