Skip to main content

Copenhagen Bittersweet Symphony

What happens when a hard core Greenie realises that the Progressive Governments around the world, who talk the talk, spout the speak, articulate the argument and promise the pledge turn out to be only so much hot air when it comes to Change and the Climate and Change as in short-changed, as in an Obama speech?

Well, perhaps a Bittersweet Symphony:
The most progressive US president in a generation comes to the most important international meeting since the Second World War and delivers a speech so devoid of substance that he might as well have made it on speaker-phone from a beach in Hawaii. His aides argue in private that he had no choice, such is the opposition on Capitol Hill to any action that could challenge the dominance of fossil fuels in American life. And so the nation that put a man on the Moon can't summon the collective will to protect men and women back here on Earth from the consequences of an economic model and lifestyle choice that has taken on the mantle of a religion.
That sounds like a very annoyed Greenie who thinks that the Progressive Governments they trusted to cool the capitalists, curtail the consumers and deny the deniers are traitors and charlatans. There's a tune running through my head as I read this
No change, I can't change, I can't change, I can't change,
but I'm here in my mold, I am here in my mold.
But I'm a million different people from one day to the next...
I can't change my mold, no,no,no,no,no,no,no

I think Copenhagen wouldn't give him the change he wanted, anyway.

I also wouldn't call Copenhagen a total failure by any means. It's made many people realise that the plans for continuation of decentralizing power and control from Countries to International Governmental Bodies is not a fait accompli. That's somewhat heartening. Anyone who cares about the environment might need to look around for a different angle than a cap and tax system. Maybe something that might actually make a difference, like investment into R&D? Although, that reminds me of another post I've been musing about - the difference between government funded R&D and business funded R&D. Stay tuned. And the tune currently is "Bittersweet Symphony"

Cause it's a bittersweet symphony this life...
Trying to make ends meet, you're a slave to the money then you die.
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been down...
You know the one that takes you to the places where all the veins meet, yeah.

No change, I can't change, I can't change, I can't change,
but I'm here in my mold, I am here in my mold.
But I'm a million different people from one day to the next...
I can't change my mold, no,no,no,no,no,no,no

Well I've never prayed,
But tonight I'm on my knees, yeah.
I need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me, yeah.
I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now.
But the airwaves are clean and there's nobody singing to me now.

No change, I can't change, I can't change, I can't change,
but I'm here in my mold, I am here in my mold.
And I'm a million different people from one day to the next
I can't change my mold, no,no,no,no,no

Have you ever been down?
I can't change, I can't change...

Cause it's a bittersweet symphony this life.
Trying to make ends meet, trying to find somebody then you die.

Comments